Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Heart like a wheel

 Well I spent my whole lifetime

In a world where the sunshine
Finds excuses for not hangin' 'round
I was around 16 years old when Linda Ronstadt included this song on her album "Heart like a Wheel"
I squandered emotions
On the slightest of notions
And the first easy loving I found
But soon all the good times
The gay times and play times
Like colors run together and fade
Oh Lord if you hear me
Touch me and hold me
And keep me from blowing away

I would eventually teach myself how to play this song on my acoustic guitar. By the time I was 18 I thought I had lived through enough to understand the lyrics. My older self thinks of that and wants to kick my younger self's....oh well. They say youth is wasted on the young.

There's times when I trembled
When my mind remembered
The days that just crumbled away
With nothing to show
But these lines that I know
Are beginning to show in my face

It ain't though. Youth is lived by the young and often regretted by the old. But, that's what makes it youth. The living of it. The casual throwing away of sunny days by the idiocy of youthful inexperience. Still the memories are still there. And finally you get old enough to think old regrets are just as silly as youthful mistakes. 
Oh Lord if you're listening
I know I'm no Christian
And I ain't got much coming to me
So send down some sunshine
Throw out your lifeline
And keep me from blowing away
I'm old enough now to know someone's listening. At least that's what my deepest life experience tells me. But, you have to keep yourself from blowing away. At least I finally came to a place where I decided I wasn't a victim. 
Oh Lord if you hear me
Touch me and hold me
And keep me from blowing away

I love the album and this particular song. Life is kind of a Wheel. Buddhist say we can escape the cycle through good karma. But, I don't think there is anything to be escaped from. I personally feel we all are on an eternal journey. Maybe that's what the universe is about. In some form or another. Some incarnation or journey in consciousness it's all made for us. I like to think that's true. That there are always more journeys of spirit and more beings than are thought of in our various philosophy, science and religions. 

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment