Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Fairytale book review

 have been reading Stephen King since I was around 18 years old. I'm 65 now so it's been a minute. I always haunted the Gadsden, Alabama Public Library asking (pre internet days) when the next Stephen King novel was coming out. They would always say "don't worry we already have you on the waiting list." which meant they would hold a copy and call me when it was available depending on where I was on the list.

Back then King was dealing with his addictions and I was dealing with mine. So I would grab my copy and stop for a six pack or in the case of Pony Miller's an 8 pack and spend a bleary afternoon dropping into the world of Stephen King and the haze of Miller Time.

He eventually kicked his bad habits and as for drugs and alcohol so did I. But, I remained a Constant Reader as he calls the "fans" of his work.

In his mid 70's he's lost a little off his fastball but he still serves up a better yarn than most younger writers these days. I lost my constant desire for horror or at least less of it as I aged. Once you get to the age where you check your pee and chit for blood (none, so far Thank God) you don't really spend as much of your relaxing time wanting to ponder horror. 

But, if Stephen King releases a book i'm reading it. Besides I think he's getting less into the horror of his younger books. He keeps dabbling in crime and mystery but, full disclosure? He's no Raymond Chandler when it comes to writing cops and robbers and sultry dames. 

"Fairytale" is a really Well written book told in the first person by a young man named Charley Reade who loses his mother before the story even starts. Almost loses his father to alcohol and finds a German shepherd dog as a best friend. 

Along the way there are dwarfs, princesses, dungeons and giants. Gold and magic crickets and a journey between two world's. A monster straight out of Lovecraft and for a man in his 70's not a bad job of giving voice to a 17 year old teenager. Although for a modern teen the kid sounds a little like a 1960's TV show. But, I'm in my 60's now and I understand the problems I'd have trying to make a character in their teens sound believable.

Hey. You kid's. Get off my lawn!

Sorry. Got distracted. 

The story is excellent. I did the Audible version and the young voice actor does a fine job with narration. The only problem with the Audible version is it says Stephen King is also part of the narration. Well. He is but only for a few lines.

Pro's:
Good story
Likable characters
Hateful characters
Tribute to Lovecraft
Also Bradbury and Piers Anthony

Cons:
One line saying "white race isn't all bad." 
Making sure to be clear that blonde hair and blue eyes aren't all bad but fishbelly white instead of simply pale.
I'm no conservative by any stretch but I take my stories straight. No woke propaganda. Still even as I write this I admit there is very little political snark in this one. 

I also agree that "We" meaning the Human Race have messed up the planet and each other. So I tend to agree with the underlying theme of not wanting to contaminate a new world. 

All in all a well told story. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment