Monday, August 30, 2021

Echo chambers and balance

 

I've thought a lot about my nation and the state of the world.  I can only read the history I have available about the civil war or the founding of our country and the revolutionary war. Same for the world wars. I lived through Vietnam but I was young and the draft ended before I was old enough to be drafted. Not much before. But, still before. 

That being said as a 60 plus year old man I can honestly state. I have never seen the country or the world for that matter in pockets and echo chamber's as angry, divided and self righteous  as today. Of course back in the olden days of 1976 😱 we didn't have the interweb's and the social media we do today. Now day's if I post something in Alabama it is immediately available to the entire planet. Not that the planet cares. Just that it is.

I was listening to the British personality Russell Brand on YouTube. By the way he is well worth checking out. He referenced a study conducted by a liberal or at least moderately liberal group. This is where it gets interesting because the findings are very much Not pro left or right. First they had a liberal group of people and put them in a room and asked about current events. Then did the same with conservative people. 

Of course the two groups gave the angry one sided answers you would expect.

 Then they took the liberal group and shared some actual feelings of conservatives with them. Not the mean old inbred white devil snark of Saturday Night Live or the self righteous dribble of Rachell Maddow. Then they took the conservatives and shared honest stories of liberal people about healthcare needs and treating people with respect instead of the silly screeching of Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity.

Guess what happened? The liberal group softened their attitudes towards conservatives and the conservatives softened their attitudes towards liberals. Amazing! Makes me think we are getting played by big business and big pharma and politicians with self interest. 

Now the answer in my opinion isn't to watch Fox News as a liberal or MSNBC as a conservative. The answer is to watch whatever you want to watch. But, remember to follow the money and keep an open minded skepticism. Hold em all accountable. 

If you're interested in the experiment here is a link to the discussion. Either way just remember to hold them all accountable

https://youtu.be/XDYLInUgbBg

No comments:

Post a Comment