Tuesday, March 24, 2020

I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac.

    I know times change and I don't like to judge people when I'm not in their shoes. It seems to me that my generation might be the last one that defined itself with Rock and Roll. Or good old Motown Soul. I know, I know. Those under 45 or so can say it. "Okay Boomer!" But, in a way I think it's true. In the days before social media and a world connected by the internet our hero's were godlike. You  didn't really see Mick Jagger or James Brown unless you caught a late night TV edition of Don Kirchners Rock Concert. Or a new album cover or an edition of Rolling Stone at the newstand. 

All I ever really needed to know I learned by listening to the radio. Trips to the record store to buy the whole damn album just to get one or two songs that I really liked. Unless it was the Eagles. I never met an Eagles song I didn't like. So in these days of political and religious turmoil and people yelling at each other and talking over each other I thought I'd list some things that I like. Things that help me find my inner Zen. My comfort. My center. 

 I have a different relationship with music though. When I listen to it then I really listen to it. Crank it up and go. I'm not one of those people that like things in my ear all day long. So, even though I can define my youth with certain songs. I get distracted with something playing in the background all day. I'm an introvert and I love to be quiet at times and just meditate, pray or think. Or read a good book. Watch a movie. Man, once I start listing I can go on and on. But, back to the subject.

Also, I play guitar (not well, but I entertain myself) and plunk at chording the piano. So, music is a little bit interactive to me. I always want to play (not that I can) everything that I hear. But, I started to think today after reading another internet post or several about the (Inbred Trumptards and the Idiot Libtards that are ruining our nation.) The people that love Jesus but have no problem slandering and not checking sources before posting crap. The people who love tolerance but want to silence all old white men and conservatives. Yeah, y'all know who you are. So, I thought I'd kind of chill and list some things I like. So, I thought I'd start with songs that influenced my youth or made me smile. Not my absolute favorite songs. But, songs that had an impact because of where I was or what I was doing at the time I first heard them.

1. Hotel California: Not the first song of my youth. I was already getting ready to graduate or maybe I already had. I really don't remember. It's not even my absolute favorite song. But, I love the guitar runs and when I did learn to at least play it where it was obvious that I was playing it. It made me smile. It's also the  title track of the first album the Eagles released after Joe Walsh joined the band. 

2. Midnight Train to Georgia: Again, not my all time favorite song. But when Gladys Knight hits those notes. That little soulful hmmm Y'all. Then you know you are in the hands of a true artist. The Pips are backing her up and everybody's moving and that train is rolling. It's the song I want played at my funeral or memorial if I have one. Cause I don't know about Georgia but I'll be on a train to another place and time.

3.Day after Day: I love this Badfinger song from the early 70's. I went to General Forrest Junior HIgh which of course fed into Emma Sansom High School in Gadsden, Alabama. Back then people didn't lose their minds every time ....No, I'm not going there. Anyway, I understand the arguments and political correctness isn't always wrong. But, this is a happy place. Anyway, there I am in the gym and this song starts playing. " I remember finding out about you." Then I'm looking across the gym and my sisters best friend and one of my best friends (same girl) all of a sudden looks kind of different. Something interesting was happening. But, that couldn't be. We had played as kids together and I had no romantic feelings for her. Anyway, this song stuck with me.

4. Hang on Sloopy: The McCoys.  Now, this one is really old. I was a little kid and I didn't buy records or even really know much about music. I mean I knew who the Beatles were and I could have named Elvis Presley. But, this song was playing one day while I was at my friends house and I think we may have even been in a tree house in the back yard. Memory is fuzzy. "Hang on Sloopy, Sloopy, hang on"

5. Dizzy: Tommy Roe: I was in Walnut Park Elementary School when this one came out. It was the first song I can remember calling "my favorite." No, it's not now. But, it was then. 

6. Slow Ride: Foghat: I can remember a beer and pot fueled summer of my wasted youth. Riding around with this one turned up. Anyway, yeah it brings back memories. Some I can't and wouldn't share here. "Slow Ride, take it easy."

7. Good Day in Hell: Eagles: Similar to Slow Ride in that it brings back memories of my youth but not in a real fun way. I wanted out of the small town of my grandparents and I wanted to be anywhere except where I was. Funny, because I miss that small town now and I think it's not so bad a place to live. It all depends on your mindset. But, anyway this one was my anthem for a little while in my wasted youth.

8. God of Thunder: Kiss: Man, I thought this was so cool back in the day. I listened to my Kiss "Destroyer" CD not long ago. But, it doesn't  hold up. It sounds a little silly and the band wasn't that good and the vocals are not really tight. But, if you were a stoned teenager in the 70's it was kick ass man. 

9. Ahab the Arab: Ray Stevens: This was an old novelty song by Ray Stevens that was old by the time I was a teenager. I mean at least 14 or 15 years old by the time I was listening to it. For some reason a local radio station played it for a little while one summer in my youth. Stoned and stupid is no way to go through life. Thankfully, I found that out before it was too late. But, for a little while and for other reasons I won't go into this song was on my hit list.

10: The Highway Man: Stevie Nicks. From the Belladonna Album. I was finally growing up a little bit. Escaping slowly from a youth that was hard to grow out of. This song connected with me in lot's of ways. I was starting to consider some different spiritual opinions and this song spoke to me of "Life already lived before." I learned to play it and I didn't play it well. But, like most amatuer guitar players I play for myself anyway. Love Stevie Nicks.

 So there you have it. I would urge you to take a break from the just so stories of your politics and don't forget to breathe. 

Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment