Thursday, January 16, 2020

Hotel California

  I grew up in the era of rock. Long hair and loud guitars and gravely vocals. I also grew up in the era of the Country/Rock Crossover and loved groups like Poco and Pure Prairie League and vocalist like Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne. But, my favorite group was the Eagles and Hotel California was and is my all time favorite album. So, I decided to take a little trip down memory lane by listening to this album from my youth. My Senior year in high school and now in my "senior" years some forty four years later.

   I have often wondered about my youth. It seems like I was so young just yesterday. I still remember hearing the title track "Hotel California" for the first time. I was at my cousin's house in Oneonta, Alabama and heard it on the radio. Back then we were surprised when anything came on the radio. No blogs, internet or twitter. No social media at all. Hotel California by my favorite band just came on and I knew the Eagles had a new album. They had recently parted ways with one of the original members Bernie Leadon and this Joe Walsh dude from The James Gang was now playing with them. This was my first listen to the new sound. I bought the the new album as soon as I could get to the record store. I should say the new 8 track because that's what I bought. I was blown away. I didn't have to be told what that warm smell of Colitas was although I had never heard it called that before. I can still hear the drums and the steady guitar. I didn't realize just how well Walsh and Felder were blending until I saw video of it.

Then came "New Kid in Town" which was more of the old Eagles crossover style. Country Rock. The feeling that the old was about to be replaced with the new registered with my young mood. It always seems as if there's a new kid in town and you can't keep up. I really was a hopeless romantic back then. Hearing it now over 4 decades later I no longer have the view of the innocent youth. I still think the song holds up. It still highlights the final days of the California Sound to me. "They will Never Forget you Till Somebody New Comes Along." 

"Life in the Fast Lane" this one said that the band could rock and get a little jaded when it wanted too. I was really into the way Henley sounded on this. Now, all these years later as I listen to it I'm reminded of a Quetin Taratino movie. Back then I really loved the guitar and the slide and the double barreled shotgun sound of the guitar at the pivotal moment. Now, I find myself thinking this really is a great album. I know some people snicker when they talk about the Eagles in relation to Zeppelin or even the Dead. But, while I agree that Led Zeppelin was genius I had just as soon listen to opera music as Grateful Dead. It's about the same in excitement for me. "Eager for Action Blinded by thirst. They didn't see the stop sign took a turn for the worst.

Wasted Time. Now this was different. Full orchestra in the background. Henley doing the soulful jazzy blues singer. I really liked it and the range of Don's voice on this shows out. He had the pipes and was really underrated as a great voice. These days I find this song has so much more nuance and depth than the stuff you hear today and most of what you heard back then. You can't beat Hank Williams for a story song but you could do worse than Henley singing about Wasted Time. "The hours go by like minutes and the shadows come to stay."

"Wasted Time Reprise" Kind of an odd selection for a rock album with a new bad ass guitar player named Joe Walsh. But, it's a nice interlude in the middle of the album. Even now years later I see rainy evenings and falling leaves and can almost feel the fuzzy alcohol buzz of my youth when I hear this.

"Victim of Love" Here we go. Crank it up Joe. Don is in full throat and I was picturing the girls I knew. Especially one from my misspent youth. "Well I heard about you and that man. There's just one thing I don't understand. You say he's a liar and he put out your fire. How come you still got his gun in your hand." Listening now over four decades later I still think this song rocks. I can see faded jeans and cruising cars when I hear this.Great song.  I could be wrong. But, I'm not. 

"Pretty Maids all in a Row" This one is the first one with Joe Walsh on lead vocals as an Eagle. This one is special for me. Back then I knew Three young ladies from West End High and they were ladies. Don't let my talk of my otherwise misspent youth confuse you. But, we spent some times in the small town of Altoona, Alabama running up and down the roads in our youth. Two of them passed way to soon. I was able to finally tell my remaining friend from that trio that I always thought of them when I heard Joe Walsh sing this song. So, now 44 years later I think of Cindy, Donna and Sharon.

"Try and Love Again." Randy Meisser reminding everyone that he had a killer unique voice and the Eagle were never the same once he departed them. They were still good and my favorite band. But, they were different. Back then I was so young and crazy and this song was resonating with me. It still has a pull now mainly because it's the last great stand of the voice of Randy Meisner in the Eagles lineup. "Right or wrong what's done is done. It's only moments that you borrow." 

"Last Resort" Haunting piano opening and the tightest vocals you can find. Back then I don't think I thought as much of the polticial views and the ravages on the Native lands that we had. But, Don Henley put it well. Now over forty years later I've actually been to Lahaina and I've seen the West and the scrub land the government banished the Navajo to in Arizona. This is a beautiful song and it still holds up. "They ever brought a neon sigh that said Jesus is Coming." They brought the white man's burden down. They brought the white man's reign." 

I really love this album. I have certain albums that I can remember where I was at various times when I heard the album. "News of the World" by Queen, "Rumors" by Fleetwood Mac and "The Grand Illusion" by Styx hold a special place in my little rock and roll heart. But, this "Hotel California" is the album I would take with me if I had to be on an island with no other music for the rest of my life.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment