Friday, August 3, 2018

Someday!


I'm sailing away set an open course for the virgin sea
I've got to be free free to face the life that's ahead of me…Styx

 

I remember my youth and having moved to Altoona, Alabama to live with my maternal grandparents. I couldn’t wait to get out of that little coal mining town in North Alabama. But, it’s funny how now when I think of Altoona I think of green grass and blue sky and clean air. Sunny summer days as a youth. Humid beery nights and the hint of somebody smoking something besides cigarettes wafting on the breeze. But, at the time all I could think was “someday” I’ll be out of here and living well. Someday.

 

Well, I'm here to tell you now, each and every mother's son
That you better learn it fast, you better learn it young
'Cause someday never comes…Creedence Clearwater Revivial.

 

The years went past and now I look back and think about what I had that I didn’t know I had and how much better it would have been if I had woken up sooner. The little town wasn’t my problem. It wasn’t a prison. The people who at times sneered at my little long haired hippy look were not the problem. The problem was I kept waiting for someday.

Got no cause to be afraid
Or fear that life will ever fade
'Cause as I watch the rising sun
I know that we have just begun…Eagles

 

But, finally I stopped waiting for someday. I started to take my own life seriously and just started to move and work and try. I haven’t reached the pinnacle and I have learned that happiness isn’t a state of arriving. It’s a state of mind and spirit and becoming.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment