Friday, June 24, 2016

My Happy Place


My Happy Place:

Dear God,

I’ve seen so much anger lately. People saying their your children (and I’m not saying their not.) wanting to deport little brown kids and their parents for having the audacity to try to get to a better place than the one their from. People using intimidation and cursing on one hand and then listing “Come worship with us on the other.” People yelling at each other over the best narccisst to elect and how everybody else is killing the country.  People hating a president and belittling but yet giving a free pass to the one’s who took us into war and the edge of depression. People telling me although they don’t know my life that I have had “privilege” just for the color of my skin. Yet, my journey isn’t one that many of them would have chosen or even made  it through.  People tailgating on the road because they are in such a hurry. People proclaiming you as an old angry man with a stick up his butt and then wondering why some us don’t have any desire to come to church to worship such a being. People claiming that all we are is a brain fart and then trying to find comfort in nothingness. You can put lipstick on a corpse but it’s still a corpse. I want off.

I WANT OFF!

Just for a little while. I want to see and talk and breathe with Jesus. NO, not that one. Not the blue eyed all American Franklin Graham U.S. Constitution flag waving fraud. Not that one. See the other one? Over there? Palestinian?  Jew? Human? Yeah that one.

The one who weeps with the hurting and rejoices with the joyful. Yeah, that one. The one with the growth of beard and the dark weathered skin and the world weary eyes  that still sparkle somehow. The one with the rough hands that are so gentle when I take them. Yeah, that one. The one going into the cancer ward and weeping and wiping away tears. You know the one. The one who takes me through the times when I just feel like giving up. The one that doesn’t care if I yell @#$#$%#&!  The one who is sitting beside that dirty homeless man over there that I don’t even want to look at in case something jumps off him onto me. Yeah, that Jesus. Just for a minute.

See? Here’s a nice spot. Let’s sit here a little while. Want some more tea? It’s a hot one. I miss so much these days. Sometimes, I  think I need to go back to about 1975. I feel like I left something on one of those hot Alabama black top roads. I can’t really recognize the old guy in the mirror these days. But, every once in a while I see a certain glint of the eye.

Let’s stay just a little longer. Ya know? I don’t much care for religion these days. I don’t much care  for dogma and people yelling at each other when they don’t and can’t understand what it’s like to be the other person. But, I’ve missed you. I really have. Just a little longer.  That shade feels good. I think I’ll be okay but when I get to the place where I cross the river. Don’t forget me. In my own way I’ve never forgotten you.
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment