Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Yoganda and me

I don't do gurus. Except for Willie Nelson. I find the occasional times i've heard him touch on religion, politics or life that i've agreed with most of it. But, i keep my own counsel and maintain my right to my opinion. 


I have found that most people including myself bow or search for some outward authority and demonize our actual spirit until it succumbs to the "authority." 

I was talking to an old friend via Facebook. I told my friend how much i had always admired her and her family and how i honored those old relationships in my old age. But all my friend heard was that i no longer followed the old fire and brimstone myths i was raised in. 

It hurt my feelings because it was a cold religious answer that had absolutely nothing to do with what i was trying to say. 

I honestly respect anybody's right to their religion or politics. I have my own inner life and view of God/Goddess/Mother/Father/Holy Spirit. I also respect those who don't have any "beliefs." 

But here's the thing. No. I don't fear the source of all love. I have a child. I promise you that be he good or evil. I would NEVER turn my back on him. He could blow this world and all that's in it to smithereens and i still couldn't eternally turn my back on him.

So no! I don't believe that the Source of all love will ever completely obliterate or stop reaching into hellish or any other conditions for his/her children. I'm not going to throw bible verses with you. I don't look at the bible as one book. 

But I'm not going to try and explain all the Greek, Babylonian and other ancient influences, scriptures or translations to you. I'm not qualified and it ain't my business. But if you do a deep dive into Christian Universalism you'll find that i'm not really all that heretical. 

 I have recently come across the Indian (dots not feather's) Sorry i couldn't resist. But the Indian or Hindu practice of Vadenta. I won't try to explain it because I don't know that much about it and I'm not converting to any one religious path. But, i find the meditation and the union of everything with the Divine resonates with me.

I came across Paramahasna Yogananda via his classic "Autobiography of a Yogi." I was pretty much ready to completely turn away from my Christianity. There was just so much i disagreed with. Especially the old testament crap of ripping babies from their mother's and dashing them onto rocks. That kind of "god" would never be something i could worship. Also the new testament had some holes. At least for me. 

But this Indian Yogi gave me reason to reconsider Christ, resurrection and the wisdom that faith divorced from fanaticism can have. I found chapter 43 "The Resurrection of Sri Yukteswar" by itself the most incredible explanation of the afterlife and reincarnation that i had ever read. There are nuggets there that once you shift through the religion and open your heart through meditation that i find invaluable.

 So i've found much inspiration from Yogananda. I don't consider him my guru in the religious sense. But i have connected with his spirit in a consciousness/spiritual sense. 

I have no religion these days except the Golden Rule of Jesus. "Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you."

I have no religious test. No political view and no conditional love or friendship. If i ever loved you then i always will. If you treat me with respect and offer friendship then i treat you with respect and offer friendship. 

Prayer and meditation are how i stay balanced. My hope is in the pure light of God. That i've come to feel is where we begin and where we belong.

"I am immersed in thine Eternal Light. It permeates every particle of my being. I'm living in that light. The Divine Spirit fills me within and without." ... Paramahasna Yogananda.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment