Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Guitars and the night sky.

 The past sure sounds better in the telling than the actual time I spent in it back in the day. But, I guess that's part of being older.   In an older person's memory their younger self is always cooler and faster and more together than the actual experience was. But that's part of the fun of remembering I guess. I happened to go outside on this late summer night in October. Now, if you're from anywhere North of the Southeast I imagine this early October is called Autumn. It is coming. I can feel it on the wind and in the way the sun shines a little softer and the shadows grow a little longer. But, it's Alabama and that means it might frost one night soon or it might just hit 90 in the shade. 


Anyway, I thought of a couple of old friends from my misspent youth. I went outside and looked at the moon and then came back in and picked up my guitar. I thought about a certain friend who was a rock star. If he had lived longer and things had gone his way a little more I have little doubt he may have been a rock star in his lifetime. As it is he was a free spirit. I thought about playing an old Southern Rock song. 

Tuesday's Gone. I was older and more into Southern Rock. He was more of the Motley Crue and Van Halen persuasion. But, he would humor me by playing Southern Rock. Another friend was an absolute genius at guitar. He passed away too soon also. I pulled up Tuesday's Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd on youtube and thought about how I would fumble through the chords with the two people I've been talking about. As I thought about how awkward I was on the guitar I could hear my friend snicker. He would have said (excuse my languare but he would have) "Fuck it." You sound fine.

Some nights that barrier between the worlds seems thinner than others. That's all I"m going to say about that. 

I'm just rambling since that's what blogs are for. I think music might be the only truly universal language there is. I don't always feel like hearing music. I have an old friend whio absolutely plays his downloaded music constantly. That's fine and I understand. But, honestly sometimes I just like it quiet. But, on the occasions that I do get in the mood I love to turn it up. I guess I look kind of funny driving around with classic rock blaring. But, like I say when I'm in the mood I'm in the mood.

I have a funny story about that. A few years ago I was in Target. I say a few years. God must have put time on fast forward because what seems like a few years now was in actuality around a decade now. I had found an old Foghat CD in the bargain section. It had one of the best and most fun classic rock songs from my misspent youth. "Slow Ride." So, anyway I drove out of the parking lot and put my CD in the player of my little 1998 Ford Ranger Pick up and pulled out. I came up on a youngster in a car beside me playing an annoying rap song. ( I know. but I'm an old fart) So, I pull up and roll down my window and crank up "Slow Ride." I don't know why but Ford put a really good sound system in the 98 pick up and I had it really loud. 
The kid starts to pull up a little when he realizes that the little old white dude is blasting an old rock tune that was written long before he was a gleam in this daddy's eye. 

So, I pull up a little waiting for the light to change. He then looks frustrated and actually hangs back. It was beautiful. For just a second it was 1975 and I was young and crazy and had my music cranked up. 

I wonder about life at times. It goes so fast and we take so much for granted. I am glad that the internet wasn't around in my youth. I mean I did some crazy stuff and I'd hate to be judged now by my 17 or 18 or 19 year old self. So, I try to give people room to be human. 

Anyway that's enough blabbing for one night. I like to think maybe my friend's are jamming somewhere. Maybe when I get there I'll figure out how to play lead guitar or at least keep up. But, I'm not in a big hurry. I'm just thinking and looking at the night sky and wondering about all the worlds there might be just waiting to be discovered. 

Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment