Thursday, August 15, 2019

Fangs for the memories.

Haunting memory, veiled in misty glow, phantom melody, playing soft, and low. ...Shadows of the night (Quentin's Theme.}

I've been a horror novel and movie fan most of my life. I still remember watching old science fiction movies on the family black and white TV. My mother of all people loved the old horror movies and she encouraged my enjoyment. I remember watching the Amazing Colossal Man which was released the year I was born. Although full disclosure I didn't actually watch it until a few years had passed. I remember the old Dialing for Dollars afternoon movie and I would watch giant radioactive spiders and lizards and flying saucers complete with the local car lot commercials. Ah, the joy's of pre internet streaming services. Not even a VHR much less a DVD player. As with many people my age I would rush home in the afternoon from elementary school to see the latest episode of Dark Shadows and of course the greatest vampire this side of Dracula Barnabas Collins. Screw you Johnny Depp and the little pirate ship you rode in on. You made a travesty of a great character and series. 

  "We couldn't even hear you in the night...no one could. No one lives any nearer than town. No one else will come any nearer than that."
I know, Eleanor said tiredly"" In the night Mrs Dudley said, and smiled outright."  In the dark, she said." ...The Haunting of Hill House.

The Haunting of Hill House 1963 version scared me a few short years later as I was in front of the TV and for some reason no one else was around. I can't remember why but it was broad daylight and chances are I had come home from second grade or so and turned on the TV. I was paralyzed with fear and transfixed in front of the TV. Scared out of my young mind and having so much fun and yet..yet, what was that? I'm not going to move. Maybe if I just yell mother will hear me and come into the room. But, if I yell then "they" might hear me and then they will know I'm scared. Images of moving statues and little girls growing old and dying while beating on the wall with a cane and loud footsteps in the halls of Hill House while Julie Harris and Claire Bloom held each other in the dark and cowered as "Oh my God, who was holding my hand?" came from Julie Harris and I was enraptured with that movie. Even now it has the ability to chill me just a little.

Mid to late 1970's...Gadsden, Alabama Mall bookstore. I pick up a paperback called "Salem's Lot." A clerk comes up and say's "Oh, yeah. Stephen King. He's a young writer that people say is pretty good." ....

  Such is the hand of fate as a lifelong "Constant Reader" is born. I devoured Salem's Lot and then? Joy to the world he already had written a book called "Carrie." How had I missed that? Now, around 44 years later I have read and reread as many books as Stephen King has written. I would walk into the Gadsden Public Library and before I even said a word the librarian would say "Yes, you are already on the list for the new Stephen King book. 

  I also had the good fortune of growing up in a neighborhood with a drive in theater. Now, my mother and step dad had a rocky marriage at times. But, there were also some good times and memories. One of the best memories is coming home from school and pop corn would be popping and cola's would be sitting on the table and my mother would say "we are going to the drive in tonight."  Me and my sister would get in our pajamas and pile in the car and off we would go for the couple a mile drive to the drive in. If we were really lucky there would be (especially during Halloween season) a "Dusk till Dawn" Horror movie festival with Christopher Lee and Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and Boris Karloff. Dracula and Son of Dracula and Dracula's Daughter and the Wolf Man and the Living Dead. Back to back to back. 

Charles Grant, Alan Ryan, Dennis Etchinson, Jere Cunningham, JN Williamson. No, these are not household names. But, a few of the names of horror authors that I read "back in the day." I can remember having a drawer full of paperback novels in a drawer at my grandparents house. Books were an escape for me. I rarely read fiction these days. For one thing my 60 plus year old eyes don't adjust well to print. Although, my Kindle ereader helps. The back light and the font adjustment are eye savers. I also don't have the same ability to get lost in a book that I did in my youth. I wonder if fiction of all types will ever be quite the same. No, it won't go away. We will always love a good scare or a good portal out of the mundane. But, the medium will be more visual and intergrated with graphics and voice or at least I suspect that it will be.


One of my race crossed the Danube and destroyed the Turkish host. Though sometimes beaten back he came again and again then at the end he came again for he alone could triumph. This was a Dracula Indeed....Christopher Lee as Count Dracula.

I knew all the lore. Silver bullets for the werewolf and wooden stakes and holy water and a cross for vampires. Zombies? I hate zombies. 

Did you know a vampire can't cross running water? A werewolf can be identified by a unibrow. A ghost will tell you it's name if you ask it. Vampires don't cast a reflection in a mirror. Bat's may well be vampires just waiting to transform. I mean I knew stuff. Important stuff if I ever meet up with a member of the living dead. Zombies? I hate zombies.

Did you know the Mummy was buried in a tomb and a curse would be put on anybody who broke in? They would pull his brains out through his nose before burial so no wonder he was mean and cranky when he was disturbed. I knew all kind of stuff from my wide reading and movie watching about things that go bump in the night.

I'm afraid there is no alternative. In such a case, the planet earth would have to be...eliminated. Klaatu "The Day the Earth Stood Still." 

Oh great, now there were powerful space aliens to deal with. Oh well, at least the death rays will take care of those damn zombies.

I will always enjoy a good horror movie. Actually as I get older I really don't get as into horror as I did in my youth. I have zero interest in most of the slasher movies except for Halloween and the original Friday the 13th or Texas Chainsaw Massacre. These days I'm more comfortable with action and comedy and my reading leans more towards non fiction and the possibility that once I shake off this mortal coil the party continues. Honestly, if you read the research it's a real possibility. But, that's a different blog all together. 

So, even though it's hot as Hades in Bama right now on this August evening. Pull up to the fire and wrap yourself in your shawl or robe. I smell a hint of Autumn in the air and the corn has been harvested. At least that's what "He who walks among the rows" say's. 

Either way, I hope you enjoyed a little of the journey in Stevie's love of horror movies and books. 

I hope we can make it to the castle before dark. The horses are laboring and the sun is descending behind the mountains. But, up ahead I think that shadow is the turrets of the Castle. Yes, we made it.there's our host.

"I am Count Dracula and I bid you welcome, Mr Harker to my house.Come in, the night air is chill, and you must need to eat and rest....Bram Stoker ..."Dracula."

  As always, thanks for reading my ramblings and Pleasant Dreams! 

No comments:

Post a Comment