Saturday, July 20, 2019

I didn't come here and I ain't leaving.

Suddenly,
I'm not half the man I used to be. There's a shadow hanging over me. Oh, yesterday came suddenly...The Beatles.

Why in the world do we and by we I mean me. look back on the seventies and eighties as such a great period of time? I think it's because as you get older and your body makes some really silly demands on you. "I'm talking to you heart and lungs" When you find the long walk or the hot sun takes it out of you then you look back on youth with more fondness than you had while living it.

I don't so much miss the seventies as I miss my hair. Long thick hair and being asked by certain kinds of folks if I "was a boy or a girl." Being asked if I knew I had "Jesus Hair." Yep, I miss that. I miss being able to drink and party after working second shift and being able to get up the next morning and feel like I would be ready again as soon as the shift ended that evening.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's not the party or the drinking I miss, It's the feeling of being young and bullet proof and ready to rock.


Twenty one and strong as I can be. I know what freedom means to me. And I can't give the reason why. I should ever want to die....Eagles.

It's funny looking back though. I think about how I was sleep waking once the eighties arrived. I met this girl back then and honestly I'm not just saying this in case my wife reads this. I don't remember the girl's name. But, I wuz in luv..She really did have the greatest makeup and that eighties look down. She looked like Stevie Nicks but with much more makeup and eye shadow. But, now I can't recall her name so it kind of put's the youthful "luv" in perspective.

"Oh, I love to be in love." ...Bette Midler with a hint of sarcasm quote from "The Rose."

I loved that movie. I thought Bette was robbed of an Oscar that year. I also love that quote. It put's some of the silly stuff I see from older people these days on facebook in perspective. Everybody get's desperate and has to have somebody else. A guy or a girl to complete them. But, hey I've seen this movie before in my youth. Maybe,I'm just getting old and crabby.


"Not everybody believes in Ghost, But I do. Do you know what they are Trisha? She had shaken her head slowly. "Men and women that can't get over their past..That's what ghosts are....Needful Things by Stephen King


It took me awhile but I got over the ghosts of my past. I try to remember that I really do have today and this moment in time. I don't long to go back to the seventies or eighties but I do miss some folks and I hope to see them again down the road.


And may we meet again, in the clearing, at the end of the path....The Dark Tower...Stephen King.


So, I don't miss the years or the lifestyle or the teenage or young adult angst so much. But, I do miss my youthful energy and the feeling that life is stretched out in front of me and mine for the taking.



It's been so long now but it seems now that it was only yesterday. Gee, ain't it funny how time slips away...Willie Nelson


It's funny how people look at you when you get older. Kind of like your opinion or attitude is cute or quaint or to be tolerated. I wonder. Is that how I looked at older folks when I was twenty one or in my early thirties? If so then I needed my little butt kicked back then.



When my life is over I'm going to stand before the Father. But, the sisters of t!he sun are going to rock me on the water now... Jackson Browne

So, it ain't over yet and I'm going to live today and not live in the past. But, I'm not apologizing for my past either. At least not to other people that have their own baggage to deal with. Nope I don't so much miss the seventies or at least not to the extent of constantly living in the past.

But, I do miss my hair!

Peace!




No comments:

Post a Comment