Thursday, August 2, 2012

Life.

When I was a child I had a dream that I have never forgotten. So, to start this experience in the blogsphere I thought I would relate it. First let me say this. My only dogma is "To treat people (all creatures really) the way I would want to be treated." Since, this dream has Christian themes I did want to say out front that I am not a fundi of any kind. If you are then that's fine. If you don't believe in anything, that's also OK with me as long as you don't come at me with the condesending smirk that some atheist have these days. No, it doesn't make you more scientific to spout jargon and act as if going to doctor is hypocritical for people who believe in God. Yes, I am well educated but no, that's not why I'm still a believer that we are more than chemistry of the brain. Also, if you come at me and say "God is an angry old daddy in the sky" then you will also be angry at me. I don't know for sure exactly what/who "He/She/Spirit" is. But, then again I don't really know what I am. :-) I appear to be in human form at this moment. But, am I in the brain? Am I the foot? Am I the liver, since it has chemical reactions as well as the brain?" Anyway, back to my first post and the reason I call this blog "Stairs of Life." 

I am 55 as of this writing so I don't pretend to completely remember a dream from early childhood. But, this is the part that has stuck with me over my lifetime.
I am at the foot of some stairs. There is somebody with me. This person with me says "Walk up the steps and every time your foot makes a mark you are that much closer to God." I started up the steps and would look down as I walked. I would see a "mark" or a footprint every time I took a step. I was getting closer to God. I made it to the very top and heard (as I remember) If you make a mark here then you "belong" to God. I stepped up and looked and I saw the footprint.

This dream has never left me. I have not been a saint and have been drunk and dirty and stoned and a lost puppy many times in my life. Especially my youth. I have doubted (still do at times) if there even is a reason for us being here. But, I hold to this dream and this assurance that I do belong to God. It holds me when fire and brimstone preachers call me a sinner or an enemy of god. It holds me when "skeptics" say I'm not logical and dead is dead. It holds me when I think of the people I've lost and the people I wanted to connect too that I just didn't have the opportunity to really know in this lifetime. Anyway, if anybody reads this, then thanks for taking the time. Hope to see you around cyberspace. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment