Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Keith Richards: Life.

  I recently read the autobiography of Keith Richards of Rolling Stone fame. As I get older I'm finding that reading about the icons of my youth is a great way to ponder where I've been as well as catch up on those that inspired or repulsed me or entertained me along the way. I am always pleased and fascinated by the way different types of artists and music inspire creative people. If you were to simply think about the Rolling Stones as caricature you would think of them as a bunch of shallow silly rock stars. While that would not be entirely untrue :-) it would miss the mark as most generalities do. Richards talks about every kind of artist and writer from Motown to Nashville and it's amazing how diverse the results and the inspiration is. I have a album of Hank Williams covers and Richards is doing "You win Again." He is at home with Rock, Country or Reggae. I listen to the radio (not often) at at times these days and I feel kind of sad for this generation. I know I sound like an old fart. But, hear me out. Back in the day when my old home town, Gadsden, Alabama and nearby Birmingham were playing what would become "classic" it was very diverse. We might hear the Eagles or Zeppelin or Grand Funk and then hear Gladys Knight or Otis Redding or Willie Nelson or Linda Ronstadt next. These days everything is segregated. I wonder if we will have anymore Richards, or Dylans or Al Greens. At least for a generation or so. Because there seems to be no real appreciation for the common thread of the roots of music these days.

 Anyway, I realize I haven't really reviewed the book I started out talking about here. I do recommend it to all the classic rock fans of my generation. Also, to younger folks to see how much interaction and inspiration a diverse group of people had back in the day. :-) There are times when the book could use a stronger editor and it seems to kind or wander from time to time. But, overall a good honest look at the life and times of a "Guitar Hero."

No comments:

Post a Comment